12/27/2005

An Obscene Christmas

You know, our families aren't rich and I know why. Every crismas everyone in our families spend an obscene amount of money (when compared to their income) on krismas presents for everyone else. The wife alone spent over $2000 on gifts. Not one single gift was over $100 in value. She buys for all her cousin and his wife and kids, her parents, my parents, her aunt and uncle, her brother, my brother and his wife, my nephew, four or five of her friends, and last and certainly least, me. That is a total of about 21 individuals.

The daughter received a silly amount of presents - toys, stuffed animals, crap. I wish those people who spend their hard earned money on this crap would instead put that money toward her college fund. At least the mother and brother-in-law did give to her college fund. So all is not lost.

I don't understand this culture of losing your mind at and around December 25. I say spread it out through the year and if you are going to blow your synapses over giving, do so responsibly.

Can't sleep again tonight. Went to sleep about 11:00 and woke up to piss about 2:15 and couldn't go back to sleep with the seven remaining brain cells working overtime. Usually is work that those cells are tripping over. So when I can't sleep, I blog. But for me a blog is usually a whining session. Am I really that negative?

The daughter got a new play toy for the pagan holiday on the 25th. It is a bath toy that has a round floating piece of plastic with a palm tree in the center. The palm tree has a trunk made of transparent plastic with an auger looking thing in the middle. It has holes in the top where you can pour water and watch the auger spin as the water trickles down the inside of the trunk and out the bottom. She spent about 10 minutes with the palm tree alone. Then this toy has Ernie, Elmo and Telly (Sesame St. Characters) hanging out around the peripheial. She had to wash each of those characters feet and then their hair. She held out her hand and asked for the squirt soap by saying "peace" which means "please" to her. Moments like that I really cherish.

The daughter got pissed off when I started draining the tub and of course she wouldn't leave her new bath toy behind- we had to take it with her to the other bathroom to brush her teeth.

The daughter will be two years old Jan 22, 2006. She is ready to be potty trained. We need to get that done before the twins arrive.

Now it is 4:45 a.m. and I am going to put on my swimsuit to get ready to go swimming. I am working out with this maniac who is training for a half ironman triathlon. For some reason he has convinced me to train with him and it involved going to the workout facility at the satanic hour of 5:15 a.m. If I don't get up and work out at that time I won't do it at all. And allah knows that I need to work out after what I ate over this obscene holiday.

No comments: