1/26/2009

A Brief Accumulation of Some Cool Southern Sayings

Skunt - a molestation of the word skinned. "I reckon he done fell and his leg got all skunt up."

Learn - a verb meaning to teach. "Them boys is kinds stupid. I been learning them all day and they still kaint figger out how not to bust up them dies"

Mommerwrennim - a molestation of the phrase "Mother and them." If you really wanna sell some of them encyclopedias yer gonna have to go up 'ar and see mommerwrennim.

Yens - a molestation of the phrase "you ones". Me walking into a country restaurant in the middle of Bakersville, NC with my family. The hostess approaches and asks "How many of yens is ye?"

Dest - a molestation of the noun Desk. "I put them papers on yer dest."

X-tree - a molestation of the word Extra. "I done thought I had four but I ended up with seven so I had two x-tree."

Like - a molestation of the word Lack. "Well damn, I done thought I had two x-tree. Eyes supposed to have four but I got one so I like three"

Leaning toward Schronce's - Very specific to the northern Catawba County NC dialect. Something is out of place or crooked. "That thar telephone pole is leaning toward Schronce's. It looks like it done been hit by an 18 wheeler."

Dinner - Lunch. "Damn, its almost 1:00 in the afternoon and I forgot to eat dinner!"

Hawldon I'll geeteemferya. A molestation of a request to hold on the phone while the answerer notifies the requested party. "May I please speak to Rufus?" "Hawldon, I'll geeteemferya"

Raaas - a molestation of the word rice. "I like me some whyt raaas with sawsige gravy"

Rhyt Naaaas - a molestation of the phrase right nice with right acting as an adjective synonymous with the word very. "That there Lamborghini is rhyt naaas lookin'"

Oh the joys of living in the south.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi There I'd love to thank you for such a terrific made forum!
I was sure this would be a nice way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Laurence Todd
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/strawberry-shortcake-party-supplies.html]strawberry shortcake Party Supplies[/url].

Anonymous said...

I wish not agree on it. I regard as precise post. Particularly the title attracted me to study the unscathed story.