3/08/2009

Another Glorious Day

We had a great time last night with our friend coming over. They brought their kids and our hellions and theirs played very well together. We ate steak and drank. So I guess I am trying to kill myself with cholesterol and saturated fat.

I had put the trailer on the bike and rode the kids around. Up and down the very steep driveway and up and down the road in front of our house. It was one hell of a workout. Especially after walking the greenway in the morning, picking up sticks, working outside and washing both Volvos. It tired the shit out of me. I guess I am not 20 anymore. Plus my heart rate is still in the 80s, I have not exercised pretty much at all since mid-November, and I am a slacker. All the activity pretty much slammed me. The drinking certainly didn't help. I had two beers and two Makers and Ginger. I was feeling no pain. But I am kinda stupid because I am still on warfarin sodium (coumadin) and I am not supposed to drink because of that medication. Maybe I really am trying to kill myself.

The hellions were SO tired last night after all the play. The twins went to sleep about 8:30 and Lolo didn't go to sleep until about 10:15! I think that might be a record for her.

The wife and I got in bed about 11:30. No nookie for me this weekend.

This morning got rolling like insane as usual. The wife was running late for teaching Sunday school so she took off and I kept all three hellions. We rode bikes and played on the swings. When the wife got back she came to me and pulled me aside because she didn't want to tell me what she was going to tell me in front of the kids. She said through tears that she got a speeding ticket on the way to Sunday school. I guess she was terrified of my reaction.

I just told her not to worry about it and gave her a hug- being the perfect husband that I am.

Since we have been married she has received four speeding tickets- in eight years. Once she had a cop follow her for 5 miles. He told her that he gave her every chance to slow down but she never looked in her rear view mirror and she continued at about 80 mph so he pulled her and ticketed her.

Then last year- I think summer - she got another one and now this one. I used to give her hell about driving too fast. When she got the ticket last summer she told me in no uncertain terms that I was not to rag her about the ticket and that I was not to bring it up again. I have observed her wishes.

Now she has done it again.

I was very nice to her today but I just don't understand it. She is smart enough to know that speeding is dangerous. She is smart enough to know that speeding tickets cost a LOT of money. She knows that she speeds. I have explained to her about how the odds of getting killed go up exponentially when you speed. None of that seems to matter.

At the risk of being considered hypocritical, I have had two speeding tickets in my life. The last one was about eight years ago where I did not notice the reduced speed in a work zone.

This shit really pisses me off. I just don't understand why someone would continue to not pay attention to their speed when they know the facts and that the odds are that they are going to get a ticket. I guess I will continue to keep my mouth shut but it really pisses me off because she drives the kids around. Her failure to pay attention to how fast she is going increases the odds that our kids will be hurt or killed. I guess it is just like that fact that the wife will not normally tighten the 5 point harness in the twins' car seats. She routinely leaves them loose which also significantly increases the probability that they will be seriously injured in a wreck.

Ok, I am finished venting but I am still pissed off about it and the fact that she knows she is wrong but refuses to attempt to modify her behavior even when it can mean that she is sacrificing hers and the kids health and safety. I guess it is kinda like me drinking while taking coumadin. So maybe I am a hypocrite- well at least my behavior is not putting my children's health at risk.

I'm out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whoa 4 tickets in 8 years? not good.